Message from the Executives

Office of the Deputy Chief Executive

ModernTO to modernize TTC offices over next six years

At the TTC, we are committed to exploring new and innovative ways to help employees succeed. As part of this commitment, we are working closely with the City of Toronto on its workplace modernization program, also known as ModernTO. This program involves the consolidation of City and agency offices, including 10 TTC locations, into newly renovated workspaces by 2028 in order to create more flexible, inclusive, collaborative and productive employee experiences and workspaces.

While we are still in the early planning stages of this program, we are committed to keeping you informed as we continue to prepare for our transition to ModernTO. This message contains an overview of the ModernTO program at the TTC, as well as next steps. You can find a similar update in the ModernTO update to the Board in the May 18 Board agenda.

Who is affected and when will this change take place?
Gradually over the next several years, TTC employees at 10 TTC locations will be moving to newly renovated workspaces in two City-owned buildings, Metro Hall or North York Civic Centre. The TTC has been looking to consolidate our workforce since 2015 as part of our Corporate Plan.

The chart below outlines these moves along with tentative timelines, which are driven by existing lease expiries and department needs. More information about these moves will be shared in a future update.

Employees in more technical roles will be moving to North York Civic Centre, including Construction, Engineering, Major Projects, Project Management Office, Subway Infrastructure, Property and Innovation and Sustainability.

Corporate functions will be located at Metro Hall, including the Executive Team, CEO’s Office, Finance, ITS, People, Strategy and Customer Experience, Diversity and Culture, Safety and Environment, Corporate Affairs and Legal.

What will the new offices look like?
The TTC’s modernized office spaces will be designed with an equity, diversity and inclusion lens, and aim to increase space utilization, reduce office footprint and adapt to changing workforce needs. These new spaces will foster a productive work environment and meet TTC policies and business requirements.

Offices will include meeting rooms, collaboration spaces and unassigned desk areas. Employees will have the flexibility to choose the physical space that works best for their specific tasks for the day. This flexibility includes employees’ ability to work from the office approximately 60 per cent of the work week, with the remaining 40 per cent from home.

How will TTC’s current hybrid work model be impacted by ModernTO?
As shared earlier this year, the TTC will be introducing a new flexible work policy in 2022. In the years to come, this policy will conform to the overall ModernTO target of no assigned seating and one desk for every 1.7 people (mobility ratio). This ratio will result in people working in the office approximately 60 per cent of the work week, with the remaining 40 per cent from home.

What are the benefits of ModernTO?
ModernTO is about improving your work experience and making sure you are given the best possible environment, technology and flexibility to thrive and perform at your best.

As part of ModernTO, the TTC will also be evolving its processes to align with the modern, flexible workspaces and practices. This includes drastically reducing paper use and storage, and transitioning to online work and information through the digitization of the TTC’s workspaces.

Next steps
These changes won’t happen overnight. ModernTO is a multi-year initiative, involving co-ordination with all impacted departments to ensure they are ready to transition to modernized work routines and locations.

In the months to come, we will be reaching out to leaders and employees for your input and feedback to help shape our ModernTO plans.

More information, including FAQs, webinars and more resources will also be shared with affected employees over the upcoming months, and as your department’s move date nears. You will be supported every step of the way in this transition.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, please contact the TTC’s ModernTO Program Manager, Amir Nasralla, at

Thank you.

Kirsten Watson
Deputy Chief Executive Officer
May 18, 2022

 Tentative Move Dates Table

Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.