Message from the Executives
Office of the Chief Executive
We’re now just days away from the start of our September Service Board Period and the beginning of a new school year.
As students return to school and more people return to in-office work after Labour Day, we know our ridership will increase as it typically does in September. As we emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s especially important to me that that the TTC be fully prepared to welcome everyone back to a safe and clean system with service that meets the needs of our customers.
Starting on September 4, service will be increased on all modes. Among the key service changes are:
• Restoration of three-minute train service on Lines 1 and 2;
• Increased service on more than two dozen bus routes and two streetcar routes;
• Restoration of seasonal, post-secondary services across the network; and
• Extra, unscheduled vehicles will be available across all modes to help fill gaps that develop due to unplanned delays or disruptions.
It’s extremely important at this time of year to be aware that vehicle and pedestrian traffic increases significantly with the back-to-school and return-to-office rush hours.
Whether you’re at work or off work, please take extra precaution over the next few weeks and keep these safety tips top of mind:
• Be aware of kids and teens walking with their heads down, often texting or listening to music.
• Stay alert as increased crowding at bus and streetcar stops may nudge people closer to the curb side.
• Stay focused as higher passenger volumes at stations may cause people to move closer to the platform edge or drop objects to track level.
• Watch out for pedestrians and cyclists who may not be watching for you, and use extra vigilance at pedestrian crosswalks.
And finally, last Saturday was TTC Day at the Blue Jays game and it was a great success for the United Way campaign with more than 400 employees, friends and family members in attendance. Our annual fundraiser officially kicks off with a pep-rally and flag-raising at Hillcrest on September 14. Hope to see you all there.
Have a great and safe Labour Day long weekend.
Richard J. Leary
Chief Executive Officer
September 1, 2022