Fare collection change: accommodating Support Persons
From the Service Delivery Group
To Operators and Collectors
Some customers with disabilities require the assistance of support persons when using our services. A support person is someone who assists customers with disabilities with communication, mobility, personal care/medical needs or with access to goods, services or facilities. Currently, support persons are required to pay a fare.
Beginning on Jan. 1, 2014, a Support Person accompanying a customer with a disability will not be required to pay a fare when travelling on the TTC or any other transit service in Ontario. The TTC will introduce this change in two phases:
- Grace period from Jan. 1, 2014 until March 29, 2014: During this period, if a customer tells you they have a disability and they identify a person they are travelling with as their Support Person, allow the Support Person access to the system without paying a fare.
- Full implementation: Effective on March 30, 2014, any customer with a disability travelling with a Support Person for whom they seek a fare exemption must display a special photo ID card (see above). This Support Person Assistance Card is carried by the person with a disability. It will have their photo on it.
Upon presentation of this card by a customer with disabilities, you must permit their accompanying Support Person access to the system without requiring payment. Please note:
- The customer with disabilities is required to pay a valid fare. They are not exempt.
- The special photo ID card is not valid fare media. It only identifies eligibility for a Support Person to receive a fare exemption.
- Regardless of the number of persons accompanying the card holder, only one Support Person can be identified by the card holder as eligible for a fare exemption.
Remember, you cannot see all disabilities. Therefore, during the grace period, do not challenge customers who say they have a disability. Accept their word, and if they identify a Support Person who is travelling with them, exempt the identified person from paying a fare.
If you have any questions regarding the introduction of this change, please speak to your divisional or department Manager.
Orest Kobylansky - Bus Transportation Head
John Morrison - Streetcar Transportation Manager
Collie Greenwood - Station Operations/Collectors Manager
For more information about the Support Person Assistance Card, please see the Fares and Passes Section at ttc.ca.