Rewards and Recognition October 21, 2016 winners
Recognizes employees who consistently exemplify commitment to the TTC’s goal of delivering a safe public transit service to its customers, while maintaining a safe work environment for its employees.
Flobell Asaba Ndesan - Duty Station Manager – Yonge North Zone
- Initiated, designed, implemented, promoted and presented the Fire Prevention Program.
- Organized training program for employees at various levels.
- Implementation of program system-wide has allowed for improved safety to customers and employees.
Alan Dykstra - Operator – Birchmount Division
- Approached by a young female who boarded bus with a male and whispered that she was not supposed to be with this man and needed help.
- Pretended to troubleshoot a mechanical issue to keep suspect on bus until police arrived to apprehend suspect.
- Used his judgment and quick thinking to not draw suspect’s attention and to ensure the safety of the young woman.
Kevin Lee - Head – Commission Services
- Keen interest and attention to detail allowed him to follow a suspicious person.
- After spotting the suspect, he followed him and then called in the situation to Transit Control.
- Police apprehended and arrested the suspect who had committed a sexual assault.
Matt McDonell - Operator – Arrow Road Division
- Faced with an irate passenger brandishing a knife on the bus.
- Quickly and safely got all customers off the bus and immobilized the bus with the suspect onboard.
- Actions saved many customers from an unsafe and potentially harmful and dangerous situation.
Verzh Mikayelyan - Coach Technician – Arrow Road Garage
- Assisted TTC employees and police with a hijacked bus while off duty.
- Explained how to open doors and windows from outside and do a battery shut off in order to maintain control of the hijacked bus.
- Always provides effective and efficient customer service and was able to assist the police in this situation with his technical knowledge to apprehend the hijacker.
John O’Grady – Chief Safety Officer
Susan Reed Tanaka – Chief Capital Officer
Mike Palmer – Acting Chief Operating Officer