Rewards & Recognition Spring 2017
- Raises money for various charities by cutting hair for Operators in the driver’s room at Birchmount Division on her off days.
- She raised approximately $900 in 2016 for Camp Quality (camp for kids with cancer), Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation and the TTC Stuff-the-Bus campaign.
- Other employees look up to her as a leader for her selfless desire to give her own time to raise money for the community and to promote awareness of these charities. She inspires others to get involved and promotes team building and mutual respect amongst TTC employees.
- Involved in various TTC groups, including the Work Safe-Home Safe program, the Rail Transportation CARE Team at Roncesvalles, central co-ordinator for Streetcar during Pan Am and CNE operations. Always going above and beyond his work duties to ensure world-class service.
- As a Supervisor during Pan Am and Streetcar Improvement projects, he led his peers to successfully achieve their goals. As Assistant Manager for Route Management at Streetcar Transportation, he leads, coaches, mentors and co-ordinates the largest supervisory group in the TTC’s transportation sections.
- Co-ordinated and aligned efforts to reduce streetcar short turns by 50 per cent in 2016 and is a well-known leader and resource to multiple locations who is always committed to finishing tasks and unplanned events regardless of work hours.
Yvonne D’Ettore - Area Supervisor - Distributed Inventory Control, Materials and Procurement
- Works tirelessly, puts in long hours without complaint, and helps her team when they are overwhelmed with work.
- Thought of highly by her peers and management and motivates others by keeping everyone focused. Finds ways to improve how activities are performed, and communicates her appreciation for her employees.
- Approachable, professional, organized, and excels at implementing change and inspiring employees to go above and beyond.
- Sets a good example for leadership, professionalism, work ethic, dedication and treating others with fairness, respect and dignity.
- Always has time for his team, whether during or off work hours, and his dedication to the TTC is admirable and inspiring to all.
- Open-door, open-minded approach to managing ensures his team is comfortable approaching him and allows for innovation and change as suggestions are received and acted on.
- Goes above and beyond to demonstrate leadership skills on a daily basis and inspires his team and all staff members to lead by example by supporting employees at all levels, ultimately improving the overall work environment.
- Is available to assist on-site with difficult situations at any time of the day. For example, he arrived after 2:30 a.m. to assist and provide support for a bus/auto collision involving an Operator at Wilson and Albion.
- Dedicated to the TTC with excellent work ethics, motivating everyone around him to perform at the same level.
- Positive disposition coupled with his professionalism, confidence, dedication, strong work ethics, knowledge and insight demonstrates his leadership skills.
- Strives to provide guidance and direction to ensure success of his department and balances authority with encouraging his staff to maximize their abilities by listening to suggestions with an open mind.
- Exceptional communicator, cares deeply about his colleagues, is sensitive to how matters are carried out, and is respected among staff within the TTC, the City and both federal and provincial governments.
- Takes the initiative to bring improvement to the workplace, encourages staff to work safely, supports staff by implementing improvements, and communicates with an open, straightforward and calm manner.
- Demonstrates professionalism, compassion, understanding, excellent work ethics and integrity. For example, he took the initiative to familarize himself with hoist safety literature and did additional research to inform his team on additional training and safety information.
- Motivates and inspires others to excel in their career goals, encourages staff to challenge themselves in their career development, and overall has helped the team be more confident.
- While on his way home with his family from a private function, he observed a bus on the road sitting out of service. Concerned for the Operator, he approached the vehicle to find the Operator had been dealing with an incident where a customer was causing a disturbance.
- Sent his family home and stayed with the Operator until a Supervisor and Toronto Police arrived on scene. His actions demonstrated his willingness to go above and beyond, along with his compassion for fellow employees.
- His behaviour continuously inspires others on a daily basis.
- Regularly goes above and beyond and readily assumes a variety of roles outside of her regular duties at a moment’s notice.
- Leads by example, often teaching and training her peers and is flexible with assuming a variety of responsibilities and work hours with a high level of professionalism and integrity.
- Remains calm under pressure, is always willing to help her colleagues and encourages and supports fellow employees.
- Goes above and beyond in her involvement with a variety of committees, some include: The Signal Priority Initiative, City’s King Street Modelling Study, GOAL (the North American Light Rail benchmarking group used to set KPIs and standards), and has assisted in the co-ordination of the EnterpriseMicro Strategies to develop a model to track the On Time Performance Project.
- Inspires others around her through open communication, leading trust within her team and demonstrates a strong commitment to positive change.
- Motivates and inspires others to excel in their career goals and is committed to representing the TTC internally and externally. Particularly, her participation in the Streetcar Route Improvement Strategy Team has resulted in improvements in the performance of streetcars, reductions in short turns, switch incidents and preventable accidents and increases in time performance.
This award recognizes TTC employees who model and exhibit outstanding leadership qualities and behaviours. Adjudication Committee: Chief People Officer Gemma Piemontese, Chief Financial and Administration Officer Vince Rodo and Chief of Staff Joan Taylor.